Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: infantry base composition  (Read 101 times)

player

• Private
    • View Profile
infantry base composition
« on: December 20, 2021, 02:19:42 PM »
I can see in chapter 1 that bases represent a Squad. I presume therefore that it doesn't matter how many figures are on the base and chapter 1 sample says the base size does not matter.
However, do the infantry bases include LMGs/Bren/Barr etc. or do they form a separate base? The same goes for the small platoon mortars such as the 50mm. Are they on separate bases?
Obviously the HMGs and 81mm mortars would be separate as platoon and company assets.

Mark Bevis (author)

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: infantry base composition
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 12:23:34 PM »
Yes, with one base to a squad, the number of figures on the base is not critical. Most squads have an LMG, so ideally the base would have a LMG gunner on it. The LMG shouldn't be a separate base.
Base size is not critical either, so if a player has an existing based army that will work fine in the rules.
In the game squads are classified by size - small, medium or large, calculated on how many men are in the real-life squad organisation. The bases can and preferably be the same size for all of these, perhaps with differing numbers of figures to represent their actual sizes.

Platoon mortars vary by army. Most are included in the Platoon HQ squad base, so should be modelled on that. Some armies have them separate, eg a full squad with 3x 45mm or 5cm mortars, so ideally that would be represented by a full size infantry base with 3 models on, assuming they fit.

We do realise that many players will have existing armies based for other rules, where the 50mm mortars, bazookas and anti-tank rifles are on separate small bases. It is fine to use them to denote which infantry base has the weapon, as a marker placed alongside.
For example  an American platoon HQ is a small rifle squad with an attached Bazooka - if using Flames of War models it would be fine to place one of their small HQ bases alongside a model bazooka team and move that around as a single entity for the PHQ squad.

Mark

player

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
So it all depends on the type of squad which I assume will be indicated in the army lists.

I have 10mm figures which are all on 30mm wide and 20mm depth. They are 4 figures to a base with LMGs/ 50mm mortars and anti-tank rifles all intermixed as a squad. This I assume will be a problem as I would need to rebase in some instances?

I would also need to separate out platoon commanders which can be on 20 x 20mm bases to diffentiate them?

My engineers and Soviet SMG squads are 3 figures to a base to again make them easily identifiable as such a small scale. Is this ok?

Mark Bevis (author)

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »
"I have 10mm figures which are all on 30mm wide and 20mm depth. They are 4 figures to a base with LMGs/ 50mm mortars and anti-tank rifles all intermixed as a squad. This I assume will be a problem as I would need to rebase in some instances? "

Not necessarily, certainly for to get you started, and for none-tournament play, as you long as it is known which bases don't have the heavier weaponry. Perhaps by marking them underneath.

"I would also need to separate out platoon commanders which can be on 20 x 20mm bases to diffentiate them?"

Again, not necessary, not all platoons have separate platoon command squads anyway, especially for some Russian lists. A platoon HQ of 1-2 men doesn't show up as a separate base in the lists, so for example you might just get a late war platoon of 3 infantry bases each with 1x LMG modelled (or noted as).

For those units that do have a separate platoon HQ squad, usually 5-7 men in real life, the preferred option is a same size base as the rest of the squads in the platoon, but with slightly different figure mix, for example a rifleman, an SMG figure, an officer pointing, someone kneeling with a telephone or radio, the heavy weapon (50mm mortar, anti-tank rifle, or both) or similar.
Or  you could use a base identical to all the others in the platoon but somehow marked to show that it is the PHQ, perhaps a coloured line at the rear of the base, or marked underneath.

player

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 12:54:32 PM »
What are the base sizes then for competition play? Is there a recommended size like with the MEG rules?

Ravenleader

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 02:00:12 PM »
Ive just had a very quick run through the game with Simon at a demo day at Battlefield Hobbies this morning. I just had a query. 10mm being the the recommended scale for the game could you mount 10mm troops individually or would it be better in a team? I like the idea of individual bases as per Battlegroup. A game set I was fully intending to green light today until I saw Divisions of Steel with Simon. This game is really the real deal for me.